Business communications have changed dramatically in recent years, with the past few decades bringing a complete revolution in the way that we connect with colleagues, clients, customers and others in the business world. We’ve gone from phone calls, written letters and fax to email, SMS texts, instant messaging apps and video calls.
Most would agree that today’s methods of business communication are far more efficient than those that were used in the past. But each communication channel brings its own unique set of dynamic challenges.
In the case of instant messaging for business communications, for instance, there is the issue of what is said and how those words are perceived by the message recipient. When we speak, we pick up on more than just the actual words. Tone of voice and facial expressions offer important insights and context. These key indicators simply aren’t present in an instant message. The brevity of IMs also increase the chances that a message may be misconstrued. With dynamics such as these, moderation tools such as keyword monitoring become even more critical for success.
What is Instant Messaging Keyword Monitoring?
The best business messaging platforms will come with a complete suite of moderation tools, including instant messaging keyword monitoring. SayHey Messenger® offers keyword monitoring as part of its moderation panel toolset and it works in a fairly straightforward manner. You begin by identifying keywords — which can be individual words or short phrases — that will be monitored. Any time a user sends a message containing one of these monitored keyword terms, an alert appears in the moderation panel, signaling that the message needs to be reviewed.
It’s also possible to configure the system so that the use of more offensive keywords will cause the instant message to disappear from its thread pending a moderator’s review. Non-offensive keyword phrases may trigger a less urgent alert in the moderation panel and in these instances, the message may remain live in its thread even while it’s pending review.
How Do You Know What Keywords to Monitor on a Business Instant Messaging App?
The decision of what terms and phrases will be the focus of your keyword monitoring will be dependent upon how/why the company is using the instant messaging app and the overarching goals as an organization.
Virtually all companies will want to monitor for those universally offensive keyword terms such as curses, slights and terms that are related to abuse and harassment.
In the case of a business instant messaging app that’s used to connect with clients or customers, you may want to monitor for slang in order to promote a more professional tone. Keyword monitoring tools allow you to identify individuals who may require a bit of additional training. Broader trends also become apparent when examining data from the company as a whole.
Inclusion and diversity are increasingly common focal points for companies in all industries. Companies that are seeking to promote an inclusive business messaging environment may choose to monitor for keywords and phrases that stand contrary to that goal.
The ideal keyword monitoring strategy is dynamic and it will typically evolve over time. The same rings true for the actual terms that are being monitored. The most important thing is that your business communication platform has the tools you need to promote healthy, productive conversations — like keyword monitoring. You want your company text messaging app to be an asset, not a liability.
What Are the Benefits of Keyword Monitoring on a Business Messaging App?
A business messaging app that’s outfitted with keyword monitoring tools can bring lots of benefits to a company, whether it’s a small startup or an established corporation. Consider the following advantages.
• No Need to Patrol Messages – Keyword monitoring capabilities make a moderator’s job much easier, as they don’t need to “patrol” message threads looking for problematic language or offensive remarks. Any problematic IMs will automatically be flagged and sent to the moderator’s queue for review.
• User Privacy is Preserved – On the other side of the coin, users won’t feel as though big brother is constantly looking over their shoulder, even in the workplace where the expectation of privacy is generally much lower than what you might expect in other environments. In theory, a moderator will never see a user’s messages unless they’re posted in a public group or they use an offensive term that’s being actively monitored. Preserving a sense of privacy is important and keyword monitoring aligns with this goal.
• Moderators are Freed to Focus on Higher Level Issues – Since moderators no longer need to spend time “patrolling” message threads, they can spend more time focusing on those more productive, higher-level tasks that cannot be automated.
• Greater Efficiency and Speed – Keyword monitoring tools are also faster and more efficient than even the best human moderator. This means that instant messages containing monitored keyword terms can be immediately identified, thereby limiting any potential damage. And there’s no chance of overlooking messages with problematic keyword terms when you have the right monitoring tools in place.
• Identify Communication Trends, Patterns and Deficits – You’ll be collecting valuable data as your business messaging app’s keyword monitoring tools examine and flag your company’s instant messages. This data can be leveraged to identify patterns and trends that can inform future workshops and training programs. For example, a review of flagged messages may reveal that the employees in a particular division have some really unhealthy and non-productive instant messaging tendencies. Now that the issue has been identified, the company can take action to correct the problem, like hosting a workshop on how to communicate more effectively.
As a whole, keyword monitoring tools empower a business, making it easier for human moderators to maintain positive and productive communication channels.
Instant Messaging for Business Communications: SayHey Messenger®
SayHey Messenger® is a user-friendly instant messaging app for business communications, and it includes keyword monitoring as part of its many moderation tools within the admin portal. The portal also allows for comprehensive data management capabilities to ensure that all message data is retained and auditable for easy reference and reporting.
Instant messaging has become an integral part of the corporate landscape. In fact, messaging apps have been found to be some of the most effective business communication tools. But you need to have the right app designed for business — not a consumer-grade messaging app like WhatsApp since these platform lack the admin and moderation tools that today’s companies need to succeed.
SayHey Messenger® is a unique and regulatory-compliant business instant messaging platform that solves many of the challenges that companies face when it comes to communication. The team at 7T developed SayHey Messenger® as a method for patching the holes in your company’s messaging situation.
The SayHey Messenger® app features:
- Data sovereignty for control and ownership of all messaging data;
- Fully compliant instant messaging for regulated businesses;
- Seamlessly integrates into existing company software platforms;
- Admin portal for moderation, auditing, and inclusivity;
- SayHey Spaces for company-wide broadcasts and team collaborations;
- Engaging, intuitive user interface for incredible adoption rates;
- Send compliant SMS messages to external users with full data retention; and
- Custom UI with your logo, colors and branding elements for a style that’s all yours.
SayHey Messenger® offers two deployments: a SayHey Messenger® Business deployment with a mobile app platform (for iOS and Android) and web app portal. There’s also SayHey Messenger® Enterprise deployments, which entail storing all messaging data in the client’s private cloud environment and the platform is fully integrated within the client’s existing software platforms, including mobile applications. This allows users to access their instant messages without leaving the screen, leading to greater productivity, higher user adoption rates and better efficiency.
Consider using SayHey Messenger® as your business messaging platform. And the best part? We can deploy this business messaging solution in a matter of days. Contact us today to learn more about SayHey Messenger®.